There are a variety of ways that lay persons in The Episcopal Church can participate in ministry. The ministry of lay persons is to represent Christ and his Church; to bear witness to him wherever they may be and, according to the gifts given them, to carry on Christ’s work of reconciliation in the world.
There are seven forms of licensed lay ministries described by the Canons of The Episcopal Church:
- Pastoral Leader
- Worship Leader
- Eucharist Minister
- Eucharistic Visitor
All seven licenses are available through The Diocese of West Missouri. Below you will find guidelines and applications, as well as other information regarding these ministries. Before you begin the application process, you should meet with your local clergy to discuss your interest in the license and allow them to help you begin a discernment process that would include working through items noted in training and resources. You can be licensed at any time, but renewal of a license occurs on a diocesan schedule every three years.
Guidelines and Requirements:
- Guidelines and Requirements for Pastoral Leader
- Guidelines and Requirements for Worship Leader
- Guidelines and Requirements for Evangelist
- Guidelines and Requirements for Catechist
- Guidelines and Requirements for Eucharistic Minister
- Guidelines and Requirements for Eucharistic Visitor
- Guidelines and Requirements for Preacher